Knee joint is called as the Janu Sandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu Basti is given to the Basti procedure done on Knee joints. In this procedure the healing property of the medicated oil used; are especially useful to restore the lubricant fluid in the joint and maintain integrity of the structures involved in the joint.
In Janu Basti two Basti Puta are prepared on the two Knee joints or it can be planned for one knee joint if only the one joint is involved in the disease process. The main precaution to be taken in this procedure is to stabilize the knee joints so that these could not swing internally or externally unconsciously.
• The patient is made to lie on his back on the Droni.
• Reservoir made of black gram dough is built up on the Knee Joint.The dough ring should be of such a size that it covers the whole knee joint.
• After ensuring that this is leak-proof, lukewarm medicinal oil, which alleviates pain and strengthens the joint, is slowly poured into it. When the oil cools down, it is squeezed out with cotton gauze and the procedure is repeated a few times.
The oil and the receptacle are kept on for about half an hour. After removing them, the affected area may be gently massaged with the same oil. The patient is then made to take rest for a short while.
The healing properties of herbal oils used for this basti deeply clean and fortify the blood, build strong muscle and connective tissues, and lubricate the joints.
This special technique is aimed at providing relief by bathing the Knee Joint in warm Medicated oil for twenty to fifty minutes.
• Osteoarthritis of Knee joint
• Stiffness and pain in Knee joint
• Age related changes in Knee Joint
• Inflammation in knee joint
If done regularly (or twice in a week/ or some thing like that) Janu Basti can prevent the operative interference in knee joint to maintain normal movements in the joints.